Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Warm's the New Cool

Today when I came back from my class, I noticed there was a note on my car that said, "LEARN HOW TO PARK. THANX." Now, I did park pretty badly since I was running late, so that's a fair criticism--that I didn't park well. My initial reaction when I read the note was that I was angry, and then I just had to laugh. I can't believe that someone took the time to write that note! Then I later thought about what I would do in that situation. If I'm having a good day, I usually want to keep having a good day, so I try not to let things get to me that I see as trivial. I've had to squeeze by cars before thinking, "Wow, that was really inconsiderate," and then I move on with my life. If someone took the time to write me a note, that means that it DID get to them...because they let it.

And I thought about it, and I think that what happened is that the person felt so much anger and negativity that they thought they could get rid of it by passing it on to someone else. I've noticed that as a collective we have a tendency to do this to others, especially those we don't know but encounter on a regular basis (as in driving). And the truth is that the person is probably still angry--isn't that a little sad? What a waste of a perfectly good day!

I thought about my own driving, and how I get angry and honk at people a lot. Maybe I shouldn't. Holding onto my anger and furthermore sending it to someone else is a choice. My initial anger may not be a choice, but I can choose to let go of it; to feel it and release it. I think about how worse my day could have been if I chose to be angry about that note, and it is really not worth it! :-)

No comments: